Kim Jong-Nam’s Murder: Malaysian Authorities Arrest Suspect

Kim Jong-Nam’s Murder - Malaysian Authorities Arrest Suspect

A female suspect has been arrested in Malaysia in connection with the death of Kim Jong-Nam, the half-brother of North Korean President Kim Jong-Un.

Local police said that the woman, who holds a Vietnamese passport, was arrested at the airport in the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, where KimJong-Nam was targeted in an apparent poisoning on Monday.

The police say they are looking for “a few” other suspects.

Police said the arrested suspect, 28-year-old Doan Thi Huong, was identified from CCTV footage taken at the airport.

Read this also:  Shehu Sani: Nobody should deceive anybody, there’ll be no restructuring before 2019 elections

South Korean media have widely reported that two women, said to be North Korean agents, were involved and fled the airport in a taxi, though Malaysian police have not confirmed those details.

Malaysia is yet to formally confirm that the dead man is Kim Jong-Nam, as he was travelling under a different name – Kim Chol, but the government of South Korea said it is certain it is him.South Korea’s spy agency is said to have told lawmakers they believe Kim was poisoned.

Earlier, the Malaysian state news agency reported that a woman from Myanmar was detained at the airport. It is unclear if that report was referring to the woman now under arrest.

Read this also:  IPOB not a terrorist group, says US

If confirmed, it would be the most high-profile death linked to North Korea since Kim Jong-Un’s uncle, Chang Song-thaek, was executed in 2013.

North Korea has not commented on the death but officials from the country’s Malaysian embassy have been visiting the hospital in Kuala Lumpur where Kim’s body has been taken.

Kim Jong-Nam was attacked on Monday morning while waiting at the budget terminal of Kuala Lumpur International Airport for a flight to Macau. Exactly how the attack unfolded is still unclear.

Read this also:  Want to become a lecturer? NUC says you don’t need a PDGE

Officials and witnesses have variously said he was splashed with a chemical or had a cloth placed over his face. Earlier reports spoke of a “spray” being used or a needle.

He died on the way to hospital.

Unnamed US government sources have said they believe he was poisoned by North Korean agents.