NAF Investigates Accidental Air Strike

 

NAF to investigate accidental bombing


The Nigerian Air Force, NAF, has constituted a board of senior officers to investigate the accidental air strike that occurred at an Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, camp in Rann, Borno State.

The primary objective of the panel is to determine the immediate and remote causes of the unfortunate incident.

A statement by NAF’s director of public relations and information, AyodeleFamuyiwa, on Thursday, stated that the investigation was necessary in order to forestall future occurrence.

Read this also:  Why Nigeria is failing teachers and pupils

Famuyiwa said that a list of 20 witnesses has been available to the board,but it is free to invite other persons to give evidence on oath.

“The 6-man Board is headed by the Chief of Standards and Evaluation, Headquarters Nigerian Air Force (HQ NAF), Air Vice Marshal Salihu Bala-Ribah,” the statement read.

“Other members are Air Vice Marshal Charles Oghomwen, Air Commodore Ayoola Jolasinmi, Group Captain Essien Efanga, Wing Commander Solomon Irmiya and Wing Commander Mohammed Muazu.”

Read this also:  200 human rights organisations seek expulsion of tobacco companies from ILO

The NAF spokesman said that the Board “is to submit its report not later than 2 February 2017.”

52 persons were killed and more than 120 others were injured when a NAF fighter jet mistakenly shelled the IDP camp where thousands of victims of the Boko Haram insurgency were taking refuge.

Military authorities explained that troops got wind of a possible terrorist attack on the community and had mobilized ground and air forces to fight them when the incident occurred.

Read this also:  Nnamdi Kanu is in FG’s custody, claims lawyer

Rann was one of the communities that had been taken over the Boko Haram terrorists during the peak of the insurgency, but it was later recaptured by troops of the Nigerian military, making it possible for the people to receive humanitarian assistance.

Comments

comments