240 Repentant Terrorists Surrender To Military Authorities

240-repentant-terrorists-surrender-to-military-authorities


At least 240 Boko Haram fighters voluntarily surrendered to the Multinational Joint Task Force, MNJTF, on Monday after they came under intense pressure from troops.

Spokesman of the MNJTF, Muhammad Dole, a colonel, said in a statement that the mass defection took place in Bagasola town, in neighbouring Chad, considered by troops as Sector 2 Area of Responsibility (AOR).

The statement read in part: “The firepower of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) ground troops and joint Air operation during the Operation GAMA AIKI forced a massive defection of remnants of the Boko Haram Terrorists (BHT).

“Sustained offensive operations and blockage of logistics supply routes made the terrorists’ locations untenable; as a result, BHT and their families abandoned their locations and surrendered with their arms to the nearest locations of the ground forces in the operation areas.”

The statement added that the 240 Boko Haram Terrorists were being profiled and camped in Bagasola.

Dole also stated that the Commander of the MNJTF, Lamidi Adeosun, stopped over at the camp of the ex-terrorists during his operational visit to Sector 2 AOR.

“The Commander commended the leaders of the ex- BHT for their courage and for taking the right decision to abandoned terrorism and insurgency for normal life.

“He assured them of safety and good care as long as they remain in the camps. He also urged them to encourage their colleagues in the bush to stop fighting and join them in the camps,” Dole stated.

According to the army spokesman, the peaceful disarming and profiling of repentant terrorists demonstrates the army’s professionalism and adherence to International Humanitarian Laws and Laws of Armed Conflict in combat operation.

He said that the Commander MNJTF donated money “for the purchase of two cows and 10 bags of assorted food stuff for each of the 2 groups for the welfare and up keep of the ex-BHT and their families.”

Dole also revealed that the total number of repentant terrorists that have so far surrendered to MNJTF troops in sector 2 is now “four hundred and sixty-four.”






     

     

    “The ex-BHT are expected to receive training in different skills and small businesses as scheduled by government agencies and NGOs,” he stated.

    The Commander also made cash donations to families of officers and soldiers who were killed in Action, KIA, or Wounded in Action, WIA, during the clearance operations.

    Dole stated: “As part of encouragement and alleviation of suffering to the victims’ families and wounded personnel, the Headquarters, MNJTF made provisions of One Million CFA (1,000,000.00 cfa) only for each family of KIA and Five Hundred Thousand CFA (500,000.00 cfa) only for each WIA in the battle field.

    “During the presentations in Sector 2 Bagasola (Chad) and Sector 4 Diffa (Niger), General Adeosun prayed for the souls of the departed colleagues for the supreme sacrifice they made in the service to humanity and praised the courage and bravery displayed by the WIA.”

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here


    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement

    Recent

    - Advertisement