The Islamic extremist group, Boko Haram, has used explosives to attack a village in Borno State, killing 52 people and razing more than 300 homes, officials have said.
52 Killed In Fresh Boko Haram Attack On Borno
Speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not permitted to speak, a police official who evacuated wounded victims confirmed at least 52 people were killed.
He said the attackers, suspected to member of the Boko Haram sect planted several explosives at a market around Kawuri village Sunday evening which wrecked havoc in the community.
Kawuri District is one of the big towns in Konduga, on Maiduguri-Bama Expressway, which is about 60 kilometres from Maiduguri, the state capital.
Those injured are receiving treatment at the Konduga General Hospital and the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital in the state.
Police commissioner, Lawan Tanko confirmed the attack, but would not give details on casualties.
This is the second attack the town is witnessing. The first was in October last year, when Boko Haram terrorists clashed with vigilante youth, popularly known as civilian JTF, which led to the killing of 10 people including three members of the Civilian JTF, with 18 others injured and the burning of 48 shops and 200 houses.
Support the ICIR
We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.
Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.