Another undergrad confirmed dead in Oye Ekiti Varsity

By Daniel Whyte

A SECOND student of the Federal University Oye-Ekiti, FUOYE, Joseph Okonofua, has been confirmed to have died at the Federal Medical Center, Ido, Ekiti state.

Okonofua, fondly called Joseph Icon by friends, is a third-year student of the Faculty of Education. He was also famous as a comedian in the school.

It was gathered that he sustained severe injuries after he was shot at the stomach amid the violence that broke out yesterday in Oye-Ekiti.

Upon his arrival at the university’s health centre, he was immediately transferred to a medical centre in Ido-Ekiti where he gave up the ghost.

Another student, Adesola Ayomide, said he was the only person with Okonofua as well as Lekan, another injured student, on Wednesday.

“Nobody showed up except the Faculty of Education President, Olanrewaju Olagunju, who came in the evening,” he said.

Ayomide narrated: “They took him to the theatre since 11.00 pm yesterday night. Although we were expecting him by 2.00 am this morning, but they were just telling us to wait that they wanted him to rest. Not until 7.00 am this morning did they break the news to us. We went to see Lekan at the other ward and when we asked for Joseph, a man told us he has been taken to the mortuary.”

“I can’t just believe it. All I knew was that before he left the ward to the theatre, he was just shouting, ‘Pain, pain, pain’,” he added.

Another student-witness, who identified himself simply as David out of concerns for personal safety, said Okonofua had gone to the rescue of another student, Azeez Elijah, who was hit on the head by tear gas, when he got shot.



    “He carried Elijah and took him to safety,” the witness said.

    “It was after then we heard gunshots. Upon hearing gunshots, we saw him on the ground and he had fallen, so people started rushing him and took him away.”

    Yesterday, Oluwaseyi Kehinde, a new intake at the Department of Crop Science and Horticulture, was also shot dead, while Elijah received severe injuries to the head. The students had earlier in the day taken to the streets to protest frequent power outages, which they said prevented them from learning properly.

    On Wednesday evening, the management announced that the school has been shut indefinitely and proscribed student union activities.

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement


    - Advertisement