fbpx
Promoting Good Governance.

Bloodbath In Borno Again, Scores Killed, Many Missing

It was a bloody weekend in Borno State when suspected members of the outlawed Boko Haram sect besieged Izge, a hilly village in Gwoza local government area of the state, killing 93 people and causing hundreds to flee for safety.

A resident of the area told journalists in Maiduguri that the gunmen who were dressed in military camouflage invaded the town at about midnight on Saturday killing scores and inflicting several injuries on several others.

Armed to the teeth with sophisticated weapons, the attackers  shot sporadically, setting many houses and shops ablaze as they pursued and slaughtered anyone who tried to escape to nearby villages.

“As I speak to you many residents of Izge are missing and those lucky enough to be alive have started leaving,” he said.

Residents of the area have expressed their displeasure at both the federal and state governments over the incessant attacks by insurgents on their village with no concrete measures taken to avert the situation.

Of the three states under emergency rule, Borno has the highest frequency of attacks and casualty for reasons that are unclear.

The sect who had been on rampage in the last couple of weeks roving round villages in the state killed over 60 persons in Konduga.

Gwoza, Bama, Konduga and Damboa towns have been under constant attacks by these insurgents and concerned Nigerians have urged the federal government to immediately deploy more military personnel and equipment to the area to put an end to the unprovoked massacre.

Confirming the attack, the Borno state commissioner of police, Lawal Tanko, said even though there was an attack, he could not give the figure of casualties.

While government is yet to step up action against the activities of this group, many of the villagers continue to flee in their hundreds hoping to  find a safe haven.

Loading...