© 2019 - International Centre for Investigative Reporting
Eight persons killed by a suicide bomber in motor park attack
By Musdapha Ilo, Maiduguri
At least eight persons were killed on Sunday when a female suicide bomber detonated a bomb at the Damaturu Central Motor Park in Yobe State. More than 30 others were injured in the attack, some of them critically.
The suicide bomber is said to have boarded a bus in the park and shortly thereafter detonated the explosive device strapped to her body.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Toyin Gbadegesin, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP, confirmed the incident and said that it occurred around 12:20pm.
The police spokesperson said eight people were killed in the attack, while 32 who were injured had been taken to the General Sani Abacha Specialists’ Hospital in Damaturu.
Independent sources, however, put the number of those who died at more than 12.
Damaturu, the Yobe State capital came under massive terrorist attack on January 10, as Boko Haram insurgents tried to take over the town but they were successfully repelled by Nigerian troops.
It would be recalled that in June, last year, a suicide bomber detonated a bomb at a viewing centre in the Yobe State capital where soccer fans were watching an encounter between Mexico and Brazil during the 2014 World Cup, killing nine persons