THE Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has said it would remodel the Kugbo livestock market.
This was disclosed by the Mandate Secretary, Agriculture and Rural Development Secretariat, Abubakar Ibrahim, while speaking to journalists on Sunday.
He noted that the activities of illegal settlers led to the demolition exercise in the area, adding that the reconstruction would add more value to market operations.
“You are very much aware that the Secretariat has for so long found it difficult to remove the illegal structures. We must thank the FCT Taskforce headed by Mr Ikharo Attah for the success recorded. The Secretariat will be able to add value to the operations in the market.
“Going forward I have directed the Animal Husbandry Department to take full possession of the land while we also take census of the livestock dealers that are currently operating there. The Secretariat is determined to have a market that is all-inclusive with clearly delineated areas for different livestock value chain activities in line with global best practices,” he said.
Ibrahim noted that private organisations were welcome to partner with the Secretariat in projects which would add value to operations.
“Our doors will be open to interested private companies to come in the areas of conversion of waste to energy, milk production and other value addition projects.”
He urged livestock sellers to desist from setting up illegal market stalls ahead of the forthcoming festivities and warned that such animals would be confiscated and defaulters prosecuted.
“Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. We have held a series of meetings with officials of livestock dealers in FCT on the need to call their members to order. We equally are appealing to residents to only patronise officially designated livestock markets where we can guarantee the source of livestock to avoid buying stolen animals,” Ibrahim added.
Mechanic shops illegally constructed along the Abuja-Nyanya-Keffi road were demolished by the FCTA on Saturday.
Senior Special Assistant to the FCT Minister on Monitoring, Inspection and Enforcement, Ikharo Attah, noted that the affected traders had been served notices over a period of three years to exit the area.