President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered the release of 167 terror suspects who were arrested in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states, which have been under emergency rule since May, as recommended by a Joint Investigation Team constituted by the Defence Headquarters in 2013.
The director of defence information, Chris Olukolade, a major general, said in a statement on Friday that 157 of the detainees would be released from military facilities in Borno State, nine from Yobe State and one from Adamawa State.
“Over 165 persons apprehended in the course of military operations on terror in three states in the North-East are to be released from custody in compliance with Presidential directive. The suspects are those earlier recommended for release by the Joint Investigation Team set up by the Defence Headquarters last year,” the statement said.
It added that the suspects will be released to their respective state governments.
The Defence Headquarters had released all women and children arrested in the three states in connection with terrorism on a similar directive from the President in May 2013.
Olukolade had said then that the move was in response to requests by the Presidential Committee on Dialogue and Reconciliation.”