Mike Ozekhome Regains Freedom

Human Rights lawyer, Mike Ozekhome, has been released by his abductors.

Ozekhome and his driver were kidnapped on August 24, by armed men along the Benin-Auchiexpressway in Ehor local government area of Edo State.

His desperate kidnappers gunned down four policemen who tried to rescue him from their hands.

The lawyer’s abductors had demanded for a ransom of N100million which the family said they could not pay.

Read this also:  Abdulmumin Jibrin's suspension is null and void, court rules

It is, therefore, unclear on what grounds the lawyer was released as the kidnappers had previously rejected the family’s offer to pay less than the demanded sum, insisting that Ozekhome was capable of satisfying their request.

Reports on his release also did not indicate whether he was set free along with his driver.

Read this also:  Enough is enough: Catholics across Nigeria protest incessant herdsmen killings

In June, the Governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole had called for an amendment to the state law that would make kidnappers face dealth penalty.

Oshiomhole said the offence of kidnapping is as serious as that of armed robbery, adding that the instruments of armed robbery are present in every act of kidnapping.

Read this also:  Lecturer demanded sex in return for better grades, Nigerian student says

“They use arms to subdue their victims. When you rob, the penalty is death and when you kidnap the penalty should also be death,” he said.

Comments

comments

Comment on this: