Nigeria condoles with Russia over deaths of over 100 citizens in Moscow attack

The Nigerian Government on Saturday, March 23, commiserated with the Russian Federation on the tragic attack on Crocus City Hall in Moscow that led to the deaths of over 100 citizens. 

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, in a statement, condoled with the Russian Federation over the attack that also caused injuries to over 100 others.

The ICIR gathered that at least 115 people were killed and nearly 200 injured after gunmen opened fire and set off explosives at a concert hall on the western end of Moscow.

Read Also:

European Ambassadors blame soaring global food prices on ‘illegal’ Russian invasion of Ukraine

The Wagner Group and the revolt in Russia

Russia will pay heavy price if it attacks Ukraine, NATO warns

The attack was said to have begun on Friday night, March 22, when the audience was taking their seats for a sold-out show by Picnic, a popular rock band from the Soviet era in the Russian capital.

According to the report, about five armed men invaded the concert hall,  shooting into the crowd and setting off explosives that started a massive fire.

Aljazeera quoted the Russian news agency Interfax, stating that the attackers set off explosives that ignited a massive blaze that at one point covered as much as 12,900 square metres (139,000sq ft).

Reacting to the attack, the Nigerian government said, “The Government and people of Nigeria commiserate with the victims of this tragic attack and pray for the repose of their souls. We also pray for the quick recovery of those injured.






     

     

    “At this challenging time, we stand in brotherhood with the government and Russian Federation and send our deepest sympathy and condolences to the Russian President, His Excellency Vladimir Putin.”

    Although Ukraine has strongly denied any connection with the attack, ISIL, an extremist organisation that previously aimed to seize control of Iraq and Syria, took responsibility for the attack on its Telegram channel, stating that the assailants had fled.

    However, the spokesperson for Russia’s Investigative Committee, on Saturday morning, said it was too early to say anything about the fate of the attackers, state news agency RIA reported.

    The assault marked one of Russia’s deadliest incidents since the 2004 Beslan school siege, which claimed the lives of over 330 individuals, including many children. 

    Usman Mustapha is a solution journalist with International Centre for Investigative Reporting. You can easily reach him via: [email protected]. He tweets @UsmanMustapha_M

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here


    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement

    Recent

    - Advertisement