24.1 C
Abuja

Saudi planned Khashoggi murder 12 days in advance

Related

1min read

Turkish investigators analysing phone calls and the movement of the suspects in Khashoggi’s murder have confirmed that the operation to kill the journalist was planned 12 days in advance, Al Jazeera reports.

Investigators sifting through 19 phone calls made by Maher Mutreb, thought to be the lead negotiator inside the consulate, to Saudi Arabia have found that four of them were made to Saud al-Qahtani and that there is a third voice on the calls.

Al-Qahtani was believed to be the right-hand man of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman before being removed as a royal court adviser following the uproar over the murder.

“Today we learned from the officials that when Mutreb and al-Qahtani were talking on the phone, there was a third voice coming from the background of al-Qahtani’s phone … Al-Qahtani was transferring the information that he got from Mutreb to that third person,” Al Jazeera’s Sinem Koseoglu, reporting from Ankara, said.

“According to Turkish officials, they strongly believe that this third voice could belong to the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman but the technical analysis hasn’t concluded that yet because Mutreb was doing all these calls from his Saudi mobile phone and technically Turkey needs support to analyse it properly,” she said.

It has also come to light that along with the Saudi consul-general, three other Saudi nationals employed in the consulate are considered as prime suspects in the investigation into Khashoggi’s killing.

Turkish officials say those employees fled Turkey within three days of the consul-general also leaving the country shortly after Khashoggi’s murder.

- Advertisement -

One of the employees, who is thought to be linked to the Saudi intelligence agency, travelled to Riyadh 72 hours before Khashoggi’s arrival and returned to the consulate in Istanbul just before Khashoggi.

Meanwhile, Erodgan Recep Tayyip, Turkey president. had said earlier that the killing of Khashoggi was premeditated “The information was given to the team that planned and executed the murder of the journalist, so that was the beginning of that planning phase.

“And some consular officers, officials actually left for their countries in a haste and this points in the direction that some preparation was indeed done,” he said.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Support the ICIR

We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

Recent

ICIR-funded report emerges overall winner at 2021 WAMECA

AN investigative report commissioned by the International Centre for Investigative Reporting (ICIR) has emerged...

Buhari considers posthumous pardon for Saro-Wiwa, eight others killed by Abacha

  IN an attempt to appease the Ogoni people of Rivers State for long years...

Again, FG accuses National Assembly member of sponsoring Igboho

  THE Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami has...

Two remaining Igboho’s aides regain freedom after 114 days in SSS detention

TWO remaining aides of the embattled Yoruba Nation agitator Sunday Adeyemo, also known as...

Share price of Trump’s new social media platform surges by 100%

INVESTORS trading on Friday saw a 100 per cent increase in the share price...
Advertisement

Most Read

Advertisement

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertisement