© 2018 - International Centre for Investigative Reporting
Troops Repel Another Boko Haram Attack In Borno State
The Nigerian Army said 25 bodies of Boko Haram terrorists had been recovered after Troops of 119 Task Force Battalion stationed in Kangarwa northern Born repelled an attack on Tuesday night.
This was contained in a statement by Sani Usman, the Acting Director Army Public Relations, on Wednesday in Abuja.
The Army Spokesman had on Tuesday said the number of terrorists killed in the attack could not be ascertained due to poor visibility in the area.
He also clarified that one soldier lost his life in the operations and eleven others were injured as against Tuesday’s statement in which he said that two soldiers were killed and seven others sustained injuries.
Usman explained that the attack started at about 6.30pm but was successfully repelled after about 3 hours of exchange of heavy gunfire that inflicted tremendous casualties on the terrorists.
He stated: “As at this morning, the troops counted 25 bodies of the Boko Haram terrorists and recovered 2 Rocket Propelled Grenades 7 (RPG 7) tubes, a 60mm Mortar tube, 2 Machine Guns, 12 AK-47 rifles and one Light Machine Gun,
“The body of the gallant soldier and those wounded in action are being evacuated, while the unit is carrying out mop-up operation,’’ he stated.
He noted that the successful repelling of the attack was made possible by support from the Nigerian and Chadian Air Force fighter jets.