U.S Says No Plans To Impose Travel Ban On Ebola Ravaged Countries

The United States says it has no plans to travelers from countries in West Africa suffering the worst Ebola outbreak on record.






     

     

    Director of the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Thomas Frieden, who announced this in a briefing said enhanced airport screenings began at John F. Kennedy International in New York City over the weekend, and will expand to four others, including Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International, beginning this Thursday.

    The screening assesses whether arriving passengers have a fever, the first symptom of an Ebola infection, and requires those coming directly or indirectly from Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea to answer questions about their contact with any Ebola patients.

    However, a person can be infected with the Ebola virus but not show symptoms, however, so fever screening would not identify such a person. Thomas Eric Duncan, the first patient diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S., apparently had no fever when he landed in Dallas last month, but developed the disease days later and died last week.

    Frieden said until the Ebola outbreak in West Africa is brought under control, “there is no way to get risk in the U.S. to zero.”

     

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here


    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement

    Recent

    - Advertisement