We’ve recovered video footage of Nigerian mother killed in South Africa, says envoy
We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.
BARELY seven days after the Senate summoned the Nigerian envoy to South Africa on the alleged murder of late Elizabeth Ndubusi-Chukwu, a Nigerian, the South African government on Tuesday says the incident has been prioritised.
Mr Bobby Moroe, the South African Acting High Commissioner to Nigeria, disclosed that investigation has commenced, adding that video footage has been obtained from the hotel where she lodged after alleged initial reluctance by the hotel to cooperate.
An autopsy on the deceased proved that the late mother of two was actually killed, as she was reported to have died an unnatural death.
The late Ndubusi-Chukwu, who was the Deputy Director-General of Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria (CIIN), was killed last month in South Africa at the Emperor Palace Hotel, Johannesburg where she lodged while attending an international conference – African Insurance Organisation.
The death has however raised public outcry on the increasing Nigerian casualties recorded in South Africa. Unconfirmed reports further put the figure at 127 in the last three and a half years.
Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State challenged the Federal Government to tackle the matter and unravel the ‘root’ cause, ‘no matter the cost‘.
The ICIR earlier reported the demands by Nigerians home and abroad for justice over the death. They also condemned the Federal Government’s slow response to activating investigation.
Former Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Prof. Chidi Odinkalu, in particular, has tackled leadership of the Nigerian Diaspora Commission, chaired by Abike Dabiri-Erewa for being slow on the incident.
Lawyers under the aegis of the Anambra State Indigenous Lawyers Forum yesterday protested outside the premises of the South African High Commission in Victoria Island, Lagos over the killing.