Fourteen of the female students of the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State kidnapped on Monday by gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents have escaped from their abductors.
While ten of them bravely escaped from the Boko Haram hideout where they were taken, four other had earlier bolted from their abductors on Tuesday morning when the vehicle conveying them to the camp broke down.
The news of the escape of the 14 students was broken to the press by the governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima who promised to give N50 million gift to anyone with information that may lead to the rescue of the abducted from the insurgents.
Explaining how the 10 girls escaped, the governor said they were asked to be involved in the preparation of meals by the insurgents and they took the opportunity of washing plates to flee the camp.
The governor said his government was willing to do everything to ensure that the female students get reunited with their family and that it has been in constant touch with the principal of the school and the leaders of Chibok to organise a search party.
He said the school has opened a register for parents to come and register their missing wards and that so far parents have complaint of 50 students missing.
Shettima expressed appreciation to the Army for efforts in the task of bringing peace back to the state, promising that his administration would not rest until all the abducted students are reunited with their family.