African envoys in Delhi, India has condemned the country’s government for its poor handling of the attacks on Nigerian students as well as other Africans in the country, describing the attacks as “racial” and “xenophobic”.
The condemnation was contained in a statement by the heads of African missions which noted that the Indian government did not adequately condemn the violent incident.
The envoys noted that “no known, sufficient and visible deterring measures were taken” by the Indian government after the attacks, adding that “these reprehensible events, both outstanding and unresolved cases against Africans, were not sufficiently condemned by the Indian authorities.”
The group therefore called for “an independent investigation by the Human Rights Council as well as other human rights bodies” into the ugly incident.
On March 27 a mob attack was carried out on some Nigerian students; the attacks coincided with a protest that was organised by online groups who blamed the African community in the city for the unexplained death of a teenage student.
The protesters alleged that the student, Manish Khari, was supplied drugs by Africans who live in the area.
However, authorities in India described the attack on Nigerian students as “deplorable”, reiterating that government was committed to ensuring the safety and security of all foreigners in the country.
“People from Africa, including students and youth, remain our valued partners,” said the Indian External Affairs Ministry.
The country’s police also said that some seven people had been arrested in connection with the mob attack so far, adding that efforts are on to arrest the other suspects.
This is not the first time Nigerian and African students were being attacked in Delhi as a similar incident had occurred in 2016 at the Chhatarpur area of the city.
Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Diaspora matters, Abike Dabiri-Erewa called on Nigerians to remain calm as government was already tackling the issue.