33.1 C
Abuja

Amnesty Int’l says ICC investigation over war crimes in Nigeria now inevitable

Related

1min read

 

NETSANET Belay, Amnesty International’s Research and Advocacy Director says an ICC investigation into war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the conflict in northeast Nigeria is now inevitable.

“The Prosecutor has confirmed yet again that the Nigerian government is not taking steps to deliver justice,” Belay said while reacting to the publication of the annual report of the Prosecutor of the ICC on preliminary examinations, which sets out the work of the ICC over the last year looking at countries around the world where crimes may have been committed to decide whether to open investigations,

“Victims have been waiting for justice for over 10 years,” he added in a document released on Thursday by the AI.

According to him, the Prosecutor has also confirmed that she will make a final decision in 2020 on whether to proceed to investigate specific crimes.

“Should Nigerian authorities fail to demonstrate tangible steps to fulfil their obligations, she will be bound to proceed towards a full investigation,” Belay said.

The Nigerian government, he noted, has already demonstrated that it is not willing to investigate and prosecute those responsible for heinous crimes committed by all parties to the conflict in the North east.

- Advertisement -

“The ICC should have already launched an investigation but there can be no doubt that the time will come in 2020 for the ICC to step up to its role as the court of last resort.

“States parties to the Rome Statue must step up to provide the necessary resources to the Court and reiterate cooperation with the Office of the Prosecutor to enable such an investigation into the situation in Nigeria.”

Amnesty International recalled that both Boko Haram and the Nigerian security forces have committed war crimes and other serious violations and abuses of human rights law, since the beginning of the conflict in July 2009.

The ICC Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) opened a preliminary examination into the situation in Nigeria in 2010.

The OTP on Thursday it released its 2019 report on preliminary examinations. It appears that the Office still has not determined whether or not to open an investigation into the situation, close to ten years after the opening of the preliminary examination.

However, it is clear that the Prosecutor is losing patience with the failure by Nigeria to investigate and prosecute those responsible for violation of the Rome Statute.

 

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Support the ICIR

We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

Recent

COVID:19: Nigeria records three more cases of Omicron 

THE Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed three additional cases of Omicron,...

I didn’t tell SSS to starve IPOB leader –Orji Kalu

SENATE Chief Whip Orji Kalu said reports that he asked the State Security Service...

TCN announces blackout in Kaduna, Jos as upgrade of transmission lines commences

THE TRANSMISSION Company of Nigeria (TCN) has announced that Kaduna and Jos are to...

Sidney Hillman Foundation seeks entries for 2022 Hillman Prize

THE Sidney Hillman Foundation seeks entries for its 2022 Hillman Prizes for Journalism. The prize...

NDLEA wants stiffer penalties for drug offenders

THE NATIONAL Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has called for stiffer penalties for drug...
Advertisement

Most Read

Advertisement

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertisement