Barely 24 hours after two separate attacks claimed nearly 100 lives in the troubled Borno State, another mayhem was unleashed in Mafa which reportedly left 35 persons dead Sunday night.
The pattern of killings in Mafa which is 45 kilometres east of Maiduguri, is consistent with previous attacks blamed on the fearless Boko Haram terrorist group and the military in the location, reports indicate, were subdued by the fire power of the attackers.
According to both security and eyewitness sources, the casualties include 32 civilians and three policemen. The military also said it could not account for seven soldiers stationed in Mafa.
The 32 civilians have been buried Monday in Mafa village in accordance to Islamic rite in the area occupied dominantly by Muslims.
It was gathered that the people of the village had received warning of a looming attack about two weeks ago and many had taken precautionary moves to flee the place.
The senator representing the area, Ahmed Zannah, told journalists that most of the residents especially women and children had fled the town for about a week now.
Zannah added: “I was reliably informed by my people that all the soldiers in Mafa fled during the attack because they could not stand the superior weapons of the Boko-Haram.”
The senator said the military authorities in Borno state had officially informed government of Borno state that they could not account for seven soldiers deployed to Mafa.
The attackers, it was gathered, came in various vehicles at about 8.00 pm and began to shoot sporadically and most of the houses which were of thatched roofs set on fire.
The Borno State police commissioner, Lawan Tanko, confirmed the attack but said he has no details of casualty as at the time of was speaking to newsmen.
It would be recalled that the sect had earlier attacked Ajilari- Bintu Sugar in Maiduguri and Mainok on Saturday, killing scores of people.