NOT less than 30 people have been killed, about 42 injured, in multiple bomb blasts that rocked a Borno State village on Sunday night, according to state emergency service.
Three suicide bombers detonated explosives devices outside a viewing centre in Konduga village, few kilometres away from Maiduguri, Borno state capital.
“The death toll from the attack has so far increased to 30. We have over 40 people injured,” Usman Kachalla, director of Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), said on Monday in Aljazeera report.
“Yesterday around 8:00pm, it was reported that there was a very loud explosion in (the village of) Konduga”, he said.
“Lack of an appropriate health facility to handle such huge emergency situation and the delay in obtaining security clearance to enable us to deploy from Maiduguri in good time led to the high death toll,” Kachalla said.
Ali Hassan, a leader of the local defence group in the village said that the bombers were two females and a male, and they all died in the process. Before the bomb was detonated, the owner of the viewing centre had prevented one of the bombers from entering, however, the male bomber blew himself up in the course of the argument. The other two females bombers who had mingled among the crowd at a tea stall nearby detonated their suicide vests as well.
“Nine people died on the spot, including the operator, and 48 were injured,” said Hassan.
Though Boko Haram group has not claimed responsibility for the attack, it bore the imprint of the group insurgencies. Boko Haram violence has been a major security challenge in Northeastern Nigeria for a decade now. In April, two female suicide bombers also blew themselves up at a village in Borno, killing a soldier and 24 other people.
Last Sunday multiple attacks had the highest killings so far in this year, despite the federal government, led by President Muhammadu Buhari’s claims of winning the fight against insurgency in the Northeast.