fbpx
Promoting Good Governance.

Court Strikes Out Two Eligibility Suits Against Buhari

A federal high court sitting in Abuja has struck out two out of the three remaining cases challenging the eligibility of the president-elect Muhammadu Buhari to contest the March 28 polls.

Justice Adeniyi Ademola struck out both cases after the plaintiffs approached the court for withdrawal of the cases on Wednesday.

Mike Ozekhome, SAN who represented the plaintiff, Chukwunweike Okafor, in the suit said his client had decided to withdraw the case so as to allow the incoming administration to focus on governance when it assumes office on May 29.

He said the plaintiff had been impressed by the noble concession to defeat by the outgoing president, Goodluck Jonathan, and had decided to also allow president elect have peace in order to focus on his plans for Nigeria.

“In the interest of justice, we will allow the President-elect to do his job without interference,” Ozekhome said to the court.

Both counsels to the All Progressive Congress, APC, and Buhari, Akin Olujinmi, SAN, and Hassan Liman, SAN, did not oppose the application for discontinuance.

Justice Ademola consequently struck out the case.

In the second case filed by Max Ozoaka, his lawyer, Chike Amobi, also sought permission to file a notice of discontinuance of the suit on the same grounds as the first case struck out.

Counsels for both APC and Buhari also did not oppose the appeal.

The judge thanked all the parties involved adding that they had both acted within the confines of the law and morality.

With this development, the only case pending against Buhari is the one filed by Ayakeme Whiskey.

No date has been set for the remaining suit.

It would be recalled that Justice Ademola had earlier struck out three similar cases for lack of diligent prosecution.

 

 

Loading...