Drivers involved in fatal crashes to be prosecuted as FRSC clamps down on traffic violators

THE Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says it has begun preparations to prosecute drivers involved in accidents that resulted in loss of lives.

In line with the plan, the FRSC will prosecute drivers involved in the Liba and Bunza fatal crashes in Kebbi State earlier in the year.

Acting Corps Marshal of the FRSC Dauda Ali Biu disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday, March 28.

According to the Corps Marshal, the prosecution of the drivers is to protect passengers’ rights and serve as a deterrent to other traffic violators.

The Liba motor crash happened on March 26 in Liba around Gonan Rogo, in Kebbi. It was followed by another fatal crash in the Bunza area of the state on March 27.

Each incident involved over 20 people, including women and children. Many passengers died while some sustained fatal injuries and bruises.

Speaking on the crashes, Biu decried the continuous violation of traffic rules by some drivers.

He said their recklessness on highways has destroyed lives and properties.

The FRSC boss ordered a nationwide clampdown on traffic violators.

He said the corps has set in motion “processes for the immediate prosecution of reckless drivers who were involved in the Liba and Bunza fatal crashes to protect the rights of passengers and also serve as a deterrent to others”.

He decried the continued and indiscriminate violation of legal speed limits and other established traffic regulations by some drivers, which has led to the wanton destruction of lives and properties on the highways.

Speaking further on the road crashes, the statement said, “The fatal crashes occurred on Sunday 26 and Monday 27 March 2023 in Liba around Gonan Rogo, and Bunza area, all in Kebbi State.

“The Monday 27 March unfortunate lone crash, which occurred at exactly 1730HRS, involved a DAF Trailer with registration number SKF 131XA, conveying 61 people plying through the Jega-Yauri route in Kebbi State

“The crash report reveals that a total of 61 people were involved, out of which 36 victims comprising of 1 female adult and one female child sustained different injuries including fractures, bruises and head injuries.




    “More so, 23 victims comprising 21 male adults, one male child and one female adult were killed. It occurred due to overloading and tyre burst, leading to loss of control that resulted in avoidable fatalities.

    “The injured victims were rescued at Maiyama General Hospital while the dead bodies have been deposited at the morgue of the same hospital.

    “On the other hand, the Sunday 26 March crash, which happened at Kwanar Tunga Junction in Kamba Local Government Council of Kebbi State, involved a Toyota Carina saloon car registered as BDG129CZ and a Mercedes Benz Tipper with the following registration details NSR 495 NS.

    “The crash involved a total of 14 people comprising of 3 Male adults and 11 female adults. Out of this, two male adults sustained injuries while 12 victims, including one male and 11 female adults, were killed. The investigation report also revealed that the crash was primarily caused by speed violation and wrongful overtaking.”

    Beloved John is an investigative reporter with International Centre for Investigative Reporting.

    You can reach her via: [email protected]

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here


    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    -Advertisement-

    Most read