Pro-Buhari Group Clashes With BBOG Campaigners

The BBOG Campaigners defied police barricades as they pressed home their demands
The BBOG Campaigners defied police barricades as they pressed home their demands

A pro-Buhari group on Tuesday clashed with members of the Bring Back Our Girls, BBOG, campaigners as they made their way to the presidential villa.

The BBOG group had forced their way through a police barricade at the Three Arms Zone in Abuja, determined to have an audience with President Buhari.

PremiumTimes reported that the group of Buhari’s supporters blocked their path, demanding an end to the demonstration.

The group said the president is “a man of peace” and must not be distracted in his efforts to “move the nation forward”.

Idris King, spokesman for the group, described the BBOG group as a scam, sponsored to undermine the administration of the APC.

“We are for peace. Buhari is a man of peace,” the group chanted.

One of the leaders of BBOG group, Aisha Yesufu, said President Buhari appeared to be doing nothing to get the girls back.

“All we are saying is Bring Back Our Girls. There is a fourth option which entails doing nothing, which seems like government’s option. That will not be accepted,” she said.

Earlier in the day, security operatives, comprising mainly of police personnel, had tried to stop the campaigners from going ahead with their planned rally to the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ campaign began in April 2014 after the Boko Haram Terrorists kidnapped over 200 school girls from their school dormitory in Chibok, Borno State.

Members of the group have consistently hold sit-out sessions every day at the Unity Fountain in Abuja, calling on the government to rescue the girls from Boko Haram’s captivity.






     

     

    But the campaign was revitalised after Boko Haram released a video in August, which showed that some of the girls were alive.

    The terror group said it would only exchange the girls for their members detained by the government across the country.

    Although President Buhari said he would be willing to concede to the demand, the chibok girls campaigners said the government had not done enough.

    They vowed to march to the presidential villa every 72 hours until the government makes clear what steps it was taking to get the girls back.

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here


    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement

    Recent

    - Advertisement