33.1 C
Abuja

Rwandan exile accused of aiding genocide loses appeal to remain in US

Related

1min read

By Lisa VIVES


AFTER two unsuccessful appeals in the US, a Rwandan woman is headed back to Kigali where she stands to face prosecution for her active role in the 1994 Rwanda genocide.

In an application for political asylum, Beatrice Munyenyezi denied that she had been involved in the killing of Tutsis in Rwanda. But witnesses were found and told a court how Munyenyezi had inspected identity cards at a notorious roadblock where ethnic Tutsis were singled out for slaughter. Her nickname, ‘the Commander,’ triggered brutal memories of a killer, the victims testified, who committed multiple acts of violence, including beating a small Tutsi boy to death with a spiked club.

She served 10 years in prison for lying in an asylum application that gave her the right to remain in the US with her three daughters.

Munyenyezi also denied affiliation with any political party when she applied for asylum, despite her husband being a leader of the Interahamwe militia – the youth wing of the then-governing MRND – the Hutu political party that formed roving bands of killers that slaughtered hundreds of thousands of their Tutsi countrymen. She was stripped of her US citizenship after she was convicted in 2013 – she had already spent nearly two years in custody.

Munyenyezi’s conviction came about after US federal agent Brian Andersen and other federal officials traveled to Rwanda several times to locate victims who remembered her committing multiple acts of violence.

“Her deportation means a lot in terms of justice delivery to genocide victims,” said Spokesperson for the Rwanda Investigation Bureau Thierry Murangira,, according to The New Times, an English language newspaper in Rwanda.

About 800,000 people, mainly ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus, were slaughtered in Rwanda in 100 days in 1994 by Hutu extremists, many of whom later fled the country.

- Advertisement -

Her husband, Arsène Shalom Ntahobali, and her mother-in-law, Pauline Nyiramasuhuko, who was a government minister, were both found guilty in 2011 by the UN International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda for their role in the genocide and are serving long prison sentences. Both were deemed to be high-ranking members of the Hutu militia party, which orchestrated the attacks on Tutsis.

US District Judge Steven McAuliffe, who sentenced her, said Munyenyezi “was not a mere spectator… I find this defendant was actively involved, actively participated, in the mass killing of men, women and children simply because they were Tutsis.”

The 51-year-old is expected to be arrested on her arrival home and charged over her role in the genocide.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Support the ICIR

We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

Recent

Sanwo-Olu blames Buhari administration’s policies for hike in cooking gas prices

LAGOS State governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has blamed the hike in cooking gas prices across...

Lalong condemns Plateau killings, calls for arrest of gunmen

PLATEAU State governor Simon Lalong on Friday condemned the killing of residents of Ta’agbe...

Why FCT primary school teachers embarked on indefinite strike – NUT chairman

TEACHERS in primary schools supervised by the local government areas in the Federal Capital...

Al Jazeera offers journalism fellowship

AL Jazeera Media Institute is inviting applications for the fifth edition of the Al Jazeera...

Banditry: How Kaduna residents struggled to survive during network shutdown

RESIDENTS of Kaduna State in North-Western Nigeria struggled so hard to survive the economic...
Advertisement

Most Read

Advertisement

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertisement