© 2018 - International Centre for Investigative Reporting
Terrorists In Kenyan Mall Attack Named
Four men believed to have been involved in the deadly shopping mall attack in Nairobi last month have been named.
The Kenyan military identified them as Abu Baara al-Sudani, Omar Nabhan, Khattab al-Kene and Umayr.
The naming of the men came as CCTV footage was aired showing four attackers calmly walking through a room in the mall holding machine guns.
All four were believed killed during the standoff.
“I confirm these were the terrorists, they all died in the raid. Nabhan was a Kenyan of Arab origin and al-Kene a Somali linked to al-Shabab. Further details about Umayr had not yet been verified,” Kenya Defence Forces spokesman, Maj Emmanuel Chirchir said.
Kenyan police chief, David Kimaiyo, told KTN television station it was now believed that four to six gunmen had carried out the attack, not 10 to15 .
“None of them managed to escape from the building after the attack,” he said.
Kimaiyo also said that wanted British woman Samantha Lewthwaite had not been involved.
“We have also established that she was not part of the attackers in the building. There was no woman,” he said.
Lewthwaite, 29, is the widow of one of the four suicide bombers who attacked London on 7 July 2005.
In addition to the 67 people killed in the attack, 39 are still missing, according to the Kenyan Red Cross.
The al-Shabab group said it carried out the attack on the Westgate Mall on September 27.
The al-Qaeda-linked group said the attack was in retaliation for Kenya’s military involvement in Somalia.
About 4,000 Kenyan troops were sent to Somalia in October 2011 to help pro-government forces end two decades of violence, with clan-based warlords and Islamist militants all battling for control of the country.