Jimoh Moshood: Adikwu was not murdered, he slumped and died

JIMOH Moshood, the Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Police Force, has clarified that Michael Adikwu, the prime suspect in the Offa robbery suspect, was not murdered by the police as is being insinuated in various quarters, but that he slumped and died during interrogation.

Moshood made this known in a statement late on Thursday, adding that Adikwu’s death did not exonerate the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, whose name had been mentioned by some of the suspects as their godfather.

“Michael Adikwu was not murdered but slumped and died in detention while the investigation into the Offa Bank Robbery was ongoing,” Moshood stated.

“It is also important for the public to know that the deceased Michael Adikwu ‘M’ 30 yrs was not among the Five (5) gang leaders that indicted and implicated the Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki, therefore, his death cannot in anyway vindicate Senator Bukola Saraki.

“The indictment of the Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki from the confessions of the five gang leaders namely; Ayoade Akinnibosun, Ibukunle Ogunleye, Adeola Abraham, Salawudeen Azeez, Niyi Ogundiran arrested for direct involvement and active participation in the Offa Bank Robbery was not politically motivated as alleged by Mr. Yusuf Olaniyonu, special adviser (Media and Publicity) to the Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki to the media, but purely criminal case.



    “It should be of serious concern to all, that human life is sacrosanct and where an investigation has been concluded and suspects arraigned in court, judicial process must be exhausted and not hindered for the law to take its course…”

    Moshood, however, did not clarify when Adikwu died.

    When the rumour of the death of the suspect was first reported in the media, Moshood maintained that he was still alive but was only relocated to a different detention facility in the South West. It was at the arraignment of the suspects on Wednesday that the Attorney-General of Kwara State informed the court that the prime suspect died in police custody.

    When The ICIR contacted Moshood on Wednesday, he said he could not comment on a matter that is already in court.

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement


    - Advertisement