Boko Haram terrorists have killed a Chinese national in an attack on Wada, a town in Cameroon which is about 20 kilometres from the Nigerian border close to the Sambisa forest, a stronghold of the sect.
The vast Sambisa forest is close to the area where Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls last month.
The governor of Cameroon’s Far North Province, Augustine Fonka Awa, confirmed the attack but declined to give details.
He said he believed the attack was carried out by Boko Haram.
Chinese state news agency Xinhua quoted Chinese officials as saying unidentified assailants had attacked the camp of a Chinese enterprise operating in Cameroon on Friday night, injuring one person and leaving 10 unaccounted for and are feared kidnapped.
A guard at the Waza National Park told Reuters the incident began when power was cut in the evening, following which a five-hour gunfight ensued.
“Some of us decided to hide in the forest with the animals,” the guard said.
The cross-border attack comes as Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan is in Paris with the leaders of neighbouring states for a meeting called by the French President, François Hollande on forging a regional strategy against the terrorist group.