Have Faith In Us – Buhari Pleads With Bring Back Our Girls Campaigners

File: President Buhari with the BBOG group
File: President Buhari with the BBOG group

The Presidency has appealed to officials and members of the Bring Back Our Girls, BBOG, campaign group not to relent in their support for the government in the war against terrorism.

Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, made the appeal in a statement issued in Abuja on Monday, in which he called on the group to continue to support the government in its effort to free all Nigerian citizens taken captive by the Boko Haram terrorist group.

Shehu described as false claims by the group that President Buhari had “broken all promises’’ made to the group about rescuing the missing Chibok girls and “that the government had been lackadaisical in the rescue mission.’’

According to Shehu, the past year of President Buhari-led administration has seen the Nigerian military step up operations at the Sambisa Forest, stronghold of Boko Haram terrorists, which has led to the capture of hundreds of insurgents.

“Also, records from the army show the rescue of no fewer than 15,000 captives, mostly women and children from the terrorists from February to date. “In addition, dozens of communities that were previously under the control of the terrorists have been liberated, allowing thousands of previously displaced citizens to return home and resume their normal lives,” Shehu said.

“Thousands of these women and children freed from captivity have also been reunited with their families. “This huge number of rescued women and children may not be prominent names, and their disappearance may not have generated any massive media attention and campaign. “However, their liberation is just as important as that of every other missing woman and child, and a testament to the devotion of our military personnel who daily risk life and limb in the effort to bring back every Nigerian citizen kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists.’’

Shehu added that the federal government is focused on the welfare and rehabilitation of rescued Nigerians, many of whom were found in a state of severe malnutrition and illness.

He subtly accused the BBOG leadership of not considering the collateral damage which must have followed the claim that the President has been “lackadaisical” in rescuing the Chibok girls.






     

     

    “The federal government’s focus has always been to free the Chibok girls alive and unharmed,’’ Shehu said

    “It is misleading of anyone to preach that the Chibok girls are within easy grasp. If the military under the President knows where they are held, they will bring the Chibok girls home today’’, he said.

    The Presidential spokesman added that the Presidency was open to renew cooperation with the BBOG group, international bodies, religious groups, social workers, and all others for smooth reintegration of those so far rescued from Boko Haram captivity.

    He said groups such as the BBOG could also lend a helping hand to families of the military and other security agencies whose losses needed to be appreciated and focused upon.

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here


    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement

    Recent

    - Advertisement