The International Center for Journalists ICFJ is an Engagement Fellow to be based in Nigeria for 10 months starting from October 1st, 2013 to help the Centre’s innovative health journalism project.
The Fellow will work with other ICFJ Fellows both in Nigeria and elsewhere in Africa, as well as local and international technologists, to ensure that its journalist partners produce health stories that engage audiences.
“We are looking for a media professional, with deep roots in newsrooms, who has managed complex digital innovation projects and teams, and who has a demonstrable track-record for creating ways for audiences to engage with the news,” the ICFJ said in a recent announcement.
The successful candidate will have to demonstrate:
– Experience working in newsrooms
– Experience creating digital and/or mobile news media
– Experience managing digital production teams, while working to tight deadlines
– Experience integrating social media into news media
– Success in achieving measurable audience engagement
– Success at replicating or repurposing technologies to answer local needs
– Strong leadership qualities
– Strong project and time management skills
– Experience in Nigeria or elsewhere in Africa is strongly preferred
– Training or coaching experience is a plus
The Knight International Journalism Fellowships are designed to instill a culture of news innovation and experimentation worldwide. The goal is to seed new ideas and services that deepen coverage, expand news delivery and engage citizens in the editorial process.
It is a program funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation that builds on past successes in the Knight program, which has a strong record of achieving impact.
Fellows work in countries where there is a good opportunity to create the news media of the future. With additional support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Knight Fellows are empowering journalists in sub-Saharan Africa to use the latest digital tools to tell compelling stories on health and development issues.
Applications should be sent to Code4Africa@gmail.com