© 2019 - International Centre for Investigative Reporting
Operation Lafiya Dole: Five soldiers killed by Boko Haram in Magumeri
THE Nigerian Army has said not less than five soldiers of Operation Lafiya Dole have been killed in ‘a fierce encounter’ with Boko Haram terrorists during the Friday attack on the military base in Magumeri, Borno State.
The Army said the terrorists attempted to over-run the military base in Magumeri and enter the village to loot foodstuffs.
In a statement released by Col. Ezindu Idima, Sunday, the Deputy Director Army Public Relations, the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) had earlier launched Operation YANCIN TAFKI in February, which according to the statement denied the terrorists freedom of action and access to foodstuffs among other logistics, thus forced them to resort to looting vulnerable communities and villages for basic necessities.
“Troops of Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE deployed at Forward Operation Base (FOB) Magumeri, Borno State had a fierce encounter with Boko Haram Terrorists on the 3rd of May 2019.
“The criminals came in numbers to infiltrate Magumeri village in order to loot food items and other valuables. The indefatigable troops effectively thwarted the terrorists’ plan through superior firepower.
“During the encounter, the gallant troops exterminated scores of the insurgents and many escaped with gunshot wounds,” Says Col. Ezindu Idima in the statement.
“However, during the encounter, the terrorists suffered heavy losses/ casualty. Unfortunately, five soldiers paid the supreme price. Troops have continued to intensify vigilance and high level of alertness to deny the bandits freedom of action.”
He assured that the military is still in firm control of the areas, stressing that normalcy has since returned to the Magumeri town in Borno State.
On behalf of the Chief of Army Staff, the Commander, Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE Major General Olufemi Akinjobi applauded the soldiers for their bravery, resilience and patriotism.
The Boko Haram insurgents have been reigning terror in the North East region since 2003 and have claimed over 13, 000 lives.