Plateau attack: military received about 36 distress calls in one night – Governor

THE Plateau state Governor Caleb Mutfwang has disclosed that the military received about 36 distress calls on the night of Saturday, December 23, during the attack on some communities in the state.

The ICIR reported that assailants killed over 70 people in a fresh attack on several communities in the Barkin-Ladi and Bokkos local government areas (LGAs) of the state between Saturday, December 23 and Sunday, December 24.

According to reports, the assailants attacked residences, looted farm produce, and set houses ablaze.

The Bokkos LGA transition implementation committee chairman, Monday Kasa, told Channels Television that the attacks began on Saturday, December 23 and continued on Christmas Eve, when locals were preparing for Christmas.

Speaking on Channels TV Sunrise Daily programme on Tuesday, December 26, the governor of Plateau state, Caleb Mutfwang, said the military received about 36 distress calls from different points on Saturday night.

The governor said looking at how distress calls got to security agencies was essential.

“I was made to understand by the GOC yesterday that on Saturday alone, they had distress calls from 36 points almost simultaneously. 

“That will tell you that that is a logistic issue right there. You don’t normally prepare that you can have 36 distress calls at the same time,” Mutfwang stated.

He also lauded the determination of the Plateau people to ensure that lives and properties were protected.

Similarly, he appreciated the current local government chairmen in the affected areas, who he claimed had been mobilising the communities and security agencies on the ground.

The governor said several people were in hospitals, including some of the wounded soldiers.

“We are taking responsibility to pay their medical bills and ensure they get the best medical attention.

“We are mobilising all the medical assets we have on the ground to be able to engage these communities in addressing the issues of this mental torture, particularly the children and the women,” he stated.

Mutfwang urged President Bola Tinubu to continue to support security agencies on the ground with resources and assets.

“We want to appeal to Mr. President to summon the political will to get the security agencies to go on the offensive rather than to continue to be on the defensive,” Mutfwang stated. 




     

     

    While speaking on the number of people killed during the attack, on another programme on Arise TV on Tuesday morning, Mutfwang said it was difficult to get the actual number of casualties because the attacks were on until probably 10:00 p.m. on Sunday.

     “We are just trying to take statistics down, and quite a number of people are missing, so it will be better if we wait and give you accurate figures probably later in the day. 

    “But what I can tell you for sure is that the 50 I gave was yesterday when I was addressing a function of the Nigerian army. But as of this morning, I can confidently tell you that not less than 100 people have been killed in Bokos local government alone,” he stated.

    He promised to give more accurate figures after taking total stock of the situation. 

     

    A reporter with the ICIR
    A Journalist with a niche for quality and a promoter of good governance

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here


    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement

    Recent

    - Advertisement