© 2018 - International Centre for Investigative Reporting
Shekau ‘set to release videos on Chibok girls and NAF helicopter’
Boko Haram is planning to release fresh videos about the abducted Chibok schoolgirls and the Nigeria Air Force helicopter that crashed last week, says Ahmed Salkida, a journalist with extensive knowledge and coverage of the insurgents.
Salkida made this known on Friday via his verified Twitter handle.
“Sources close to the Shekau led-terror group (Boko Haram) say they shall be releasing a string of videos on the abducted Chibok girls, Police wives and crashed helicopter,” Salkida wrote.
Salkida said Boko Haram claims to have gunned down the helicopter “amid unrelenting push by the Army”.
Just In: Sources close to the Shekau led terror group say they shall be releasing a string of videos on the abducted Chibok girls, Police wives and crashed helicopter. The group claims they gunned it down amid unrelenting push by the Army.
— Ahmad Salkida (@ContactSalkida) January 12, 2018
Authorities of the Nigeria Air Force announced that one of its helicopters suffered a mishap on Monday, January 8, but said no life was lost in the incident.
“The incident which occurred today, (Monday), 8 January 2018, resulted significant damage to the helicopter; there was however, no loss of lives as a result of the incident,” Olatokunbo Adesanya, NAF’s Public Relations and Information, had said in a statement .
“The Chief of Air staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar has immediately directed the constitution of a board of inquiry to determine the exact cause of the incident in line with global best practices.”
That same Monday, Sani Usman, Director of Army Information, issued a statement claiming that “Boko Haram terrorist group factional leader, Abubakar Shekau, is in a terrible state of health and not much a threat as he is now a spent horse, waiting for his Waterloo”.
Usman also said that “Abu Mus’ab Albarnawiy, (another factional Boko Haram Leader) who has been busy deceiving and recruiting gullible persons, especially misguided youths into his fold, will soon be captured”.
Days earlier, on January 4 precisely, the Army had said troops of Operation Lafiya Dole carried out a successful offensive on the insurgents, killing many of them and rescuing dozens of captives, among whom is Salomi Pagu, one of the kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls.
The Army has a history of releasing statements that have been contradicted by the protagonists of the incidents, the most recent being its disputed claims on the casualty tolls of a Boko Haram attack on a World Food Prograame (WFP) convoy and another on UNIMAID lecturers and NNPC staff prospecting for oil in Borno State.