© 2019 - International Centre for Investigative Reporting
VIDEO: Charly Boy suspends resume-or-resign protest, says ‘we’ve made our point’
Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly boy, has called off the resume-or-resign protest after protesters clashed with pro-Buhari supporters on Tuesday.
An ethnic crisis was narrowly averted after Charly Boy was attacked by a group of northern youth when he took his #OurMumuDonDo protesters to Wuse Market, Abuja.
The pro-Buhari Youths threw rocks at the 66-year-old, who was eventually rescued by another group of south-eastern youth.
It took the prompt intervention of security operatives for the situation to be brought under control, but two cars belonging to Charly Boy were destroyed while some people sustained injuries.
Consequently, on Wednesday morning, Charly Boy addressed his fellow protesters, saying he was suspending the protest as their point had been made.
“My brothers and sisters, I’ll like to say thank you for a good job well done; and to say to my fellow comrades, we’ve made our point, let Nigerians judge,” he said.
“Let Nigerians do the needful, do the right thing. And on this note, permit me, my fellow comrades, to say that we’ve come to the end of this particular sit-out.
“We need to go and re-strategise because there are a lot of things that are wrong with our country. There are a lot of topics we want to take on full blast.
“But we are still insisting and we will always insist that either Mr President returns or he resigns.”
Watch the video below, courtesy of Sahara TV:
— Sahara Reporters (@SaharaReporters) August 16, 2017