JAMB remitted ONLY N50 million to FG purse in six years

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, remitted a paltry N50 million to the national treasury between 2010 and 2016, which represents only one percent of the N5 billion remitted by the board this year.

This was made known by the office of the Accountant General of the Federation in a response to a Freedom of Information, FOI, request made by Premium Times newspapers.

Dibu Ojerinde, who was the Registrar of JAMB between 2007 and July 2016 before handing over to Ishaq Oloyede in August of 2016, is currently at the centre of an investigation.

Kemi Adeosun, the Minister of Finance had expressed concern over the huge disparity between the amount remitted by JAMB over the years under Ojerinde and the sum remitted under one year by Oloyede.

“This year, so far, they (JAMB) have brought N5 billion and the Minister of Education reported that they have additional N3 billion that they want to remit, which will take the figure in this year alone to N8 billion,” Adeosun said while addressing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Meeting of September 13.

“Now they have not increased their charges, they have not increased their fees. The question that FEC and council members were asking was ‘where was this money before?”

According to records from the office of the Accountant General, the total amount remitted by JAMB to the federal government coffers between 2010 and 2016 is N50,752,544.

Curiously, JAMB did not remit a single kobo into the National purse in 2010, 2012, 2015 and 2016, the document signed by Bakari Wadinga from the accountant general’s office reveals.




     

     

    N11,522,808 was remitted in 2011; N25, 303,274 in 2013 and N13,926,462 was remitted in 2014.

    Though these figures are way higher than the N3 million that Adeosun alleged was the highest JAMB ever remitted into the National treasury, it is no where near the N5 billion which Oloyede has remitted having been at the helm of affairs for only one year.

    Fabian Benjamin, the spokesman of JAMB refused to comment on the matter when he was contacted, saying that it is already subject to investigation.

    “The issue has gotten to the Federal Executive Council and until the investigation ordered by the federal government revealed anything, I cannot talk on the issue,” he said.

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here


    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement

    Recent

    - Advertisement