© 2018 - International Centre for Investigative Reporting
Nigerian Troops Repel Another Boko Haram Attack On Bama
Dare devil members of the Boko Haram group on Saturday made an apparently daring move to retake Bama, the Borno town which was reclaimed from the insurgents only last week, but they were successfully repelled by Nigerian troops.
Scores of the insurgents were believed killed by ground and air operations as soldiers repelled the insurgents who launched attacks on some parts of the town.
A press release issued by the Defence Headquarters and signed by its spokesman, Chris Olukolade, a Major General, said that while calm has returned to Bama, troops were still pursuing the other insurgents who fled after the failed attack.
“An attack by a band of terrorists on parts of Bama was this morning quelled by the Nigerian troops who dealt with them decisively. Over a score of them died while others fled with wounds,” the statement said.
It said further that a Hilux vehicle as well as weapons was recovered from the Boko Haram fighters
The military headquarters also disclosed that a soldier was killed and seven others wounded in the attack and that they had “been evacuated from the combat area by air and are already receiving medical attention.”
Nigerian troops finally reclaimed Bama, the second largest local government in Borno State, from Boko Haram fighters on Monday after nearly six months of occupation by the insurgents.
The troops engaged the insurgents for several days before finally dislodging them and Olukolade said that they had to wade through land mines and booby traps set by the terrorists.
Bama was captured by the insurgents in early September, last year.