© 2018 - International Centre for Investigative Reporting
Violence in Egypt Raises Global Concern
The international community has expressed serious concern over the effect of the military takeover in Egypt and is calling for an end to violence and protection for civilians.
The US State Department issued a condemnation of Friday’s violence and called for all leaders to put a stop to any further aggression.
“We call on all Egyptian leaders to condemn the use of force and to prevent further violence among their supporters,” spokeswoman JenPsaki said in a statement.
UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, has also expressed alarm at the violence, saying that it was for the people of Egypt to determine the way forward – and all people, including women, needed to be part of that process.
Ban’s spokesman, Farhan Haq, said: “Egypt’s political leaders have a responsibility to signal, by their words and their actions, their commitment to a peaceful and democratic dialogue which includes all of Egypt’s constituencies, including women.”
At least 30 people died on Friday and more than 1,000 were injured in violent clashes that broke out in Alexandria and Cairo, following the ousting of President Mohammed Morsi on Wednesday.
Morsi, Egypt’s first freely elected leader, is in detention along with some senior figures of his Muslim Brotherhood movement.
Earlier today, state media reported that the Brotherhood’s deputy leader, Khairat el-Shater, had been arrested at his Cairo home on suspicion of incitement to violence.