Musdapha Ilo, Maiduguri
Suspected members of the outlawed Boko Haram sect on Tuesday night attacked a military check point at Bulabulin Ngaura in Damboa local government area of Borno State, killing at least 16 soldiers, it was learnt on Wednesday.
A soldier who narrowly escaped the attack said they were “totally subdued by the insurgents,” and that some of his colleagues were abducted, while others escaped with bullet wounds.
“The terrorists came in a convoy of over 30 vehicles, mounted with anti aircraft guns I was at the checkpoint when the terrorists came, we tried our best but they had advantage over us. They had AA and we had Ak47 rifles that are not fully loaded. When we realized that they have taken over the place, some of us escaped to Maiduguri and other places but many could not make it,” he said sadly.
The 16 bodies of his fallen colleague, he said, had been brought to Maiduguri and many others that are still missing in action.
As at the time of filing the report the military authorities were yet to react on attack. Attempts to get the Defence spokesman, Chris Olukolade, a Major General, to confirm the incident failed as he did not take calls to his mobile phone last night.
He also did not reply a text message enquiring about the attack.