23.1 C
Abuja

Court orders Lagos govt to suspend Otodo-Gbame demolition

Advertisement

Related

Advertisement
Advertisement

Celebrations erupted at the Lagos State High Court on Wednesday after Justice Surajudeen Onigbanjo ordered the state government to stop further demolition of Otodo Gbame, a waterfront community in the state.

Onigbanjo ruled that it was wrong for the residents to have been forcibly evicted without plans for their relocation.

He described the actions of the state government as unconstitutional, but urged both parties reach an agreement on how to resettle the residents before their homes would be demolished.

The presiding judge agreed that “the land occupied by the applicants is under the control and the management of the executive governor of the state” but he also pointed out that the residents “never claimed ownership of the land, but have over the years settled on the land”.

“It will be wrong for them to be forcefully evicted from a land they have been [on] for several years,” Onigbanjo said.

“The respondents’ failure to provide alternative settlement before embarking on the forceful eviction of the applicants is unconstitutional.

“Both parties are hereby ordered to carry out proper consultation on how to resolve the relocation of the applicants.

- Advertisement -

“The respondents are hereby restrained from further carrying out evictions of the applicants from the settlements, if alternative settlements are not made available.”

According to a report by Amnesty International, an international human rights organisation, more than 30,000 people were rendered homeless by the Lagos State government in Otodo gbame, Ilubirin and Ebute Ikate waterfront communities in November 2016.

And only last week, another demolition exercise was carried out at Badia East, another slum community in the state.

More than 500 persons, mainly women and children, were reportedly displaced in the exercise, and a policeman was reported to have injured a woman with a knife when she tried to retrieve some of her belongings from her apartment that was being destroyed.

Support the ICIR

We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

[molongui_author_box]

If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Support the ICIR

We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

Advertisement

Recent

FG’s grid expansion project plans additional 204 megawatts in Ekiti State

THE Federal Government's grid expansion project is targeting additional 204 megawatts (mw) of electricity...

FG to implement new tariff hike on data, calls – Minister

THE Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, has said the Federal Government is on course...

2023: Wike sues Atiku, asks court to declare him PDP presidential candidate

RIVERS State governor Nyesom Wike has dragged Atiku Abubakar to court over the presidential...

Train attack: Why lethal force was not used to rescue abducted passengers – Buhari

PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has said the Federal Government refused to use lethal military force...

FG recovered 3.2bn looted funds in 14 months – AGF

THE Federal Government says it has recovered over N3.2 billion (£6,324,627.66) stolen from the...
Advertisement

Most Read

Advertisement

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertisement