21.6 C
Abuja

FG lifts ban on interstate travel, approves domestic flight operations

Advertisement

Related

Advertisement
Advertisement

THE Federal Government on Monday lifted the ban placed on interstate travels, disclosing that citizens can travel from July 1, provided such journeys are made outside curfew hours.

Boss Mustapha, Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, disclosed these at the ongoing daily briefing of the task force in Abuja.

Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), also said the government has approved the safe resumption of domestic flights in the country.

The Federal Government also approved “safe reopening” of schools nationwide, describing it as a point of action in the next phase of the gradual easing of lockdown ordered to curtail further spread of COVID-19.

It however highlighted that only graduating students will resume.

The SGF disclosed that the reopening of schools is meant to allow students in graduating classes resume in preparation for examinations.

According to him, the new developments are relayed in the Task Force’s  5th Interim Report, adding that it was submitted to the President Muhammadu Buhari earlier on Monday.

- Advertisement -

“I am pleased to inform you that Mr President has carefully considered the 5th Interim Report of the PTF and has accordingly approved that, with the exception of some modifications to be expatiated upon later, the Phase Two of the eased lockdown be extended by another four weeks with effect from Tuesday, June 30, 2020 through Midnight of Monday, 27 July, 2020.

“Safe re-opening of schools to allow students in graduating classes resume in-person in preparation for examinations; safe reopening of domestic aviation services as soon as practicable,” Mustapha said.

It would be recalled that President Buhari had on March 30, ordered lockdown in three states including; Abuja, Lagos and Ogun, a move that was aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19, which has since infected over 24,000 Nigerians and left over 565 dead, according to Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

 

 

Author profile

Seun Durojaiye is a journalist with International Center for Investigative Reporting (ICIR).

Support the ICIR

We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

[molongui_author_box]

If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Support the ICIR

We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

Advertisement

Recent

ISWAP claims responsibility for Kuje Prison attack

THE Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) has claimed responsibility for the attack...

Kuje Prison attack: FCT minister urges traditional rulers to fish out fleeing inmates

MINISTER of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Muhammad Musa Bello has called on...

Abuja-Kaduna train attackers behind attack on Kuje Prison – Gumi’s aide

TUKUR Mamu, a media consultant to controversial Islamic cleric Ahmad Gumi, has said the...

Buhari visits Kuje Prison, expresses shock at scale and audacity of attack

PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has expressed shock at the "scale and audacity of the attack"...

How elderly Nigerian doctor insisted on botched procedure that landed him in jail

AN 85-year-old Nigerian doctor Isyaka Mamman has been sentenced to three years in prison...
Advertisement

Most Read

Advertisement

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertisement