JAMB Ready To Conduct Computer-Based UTME Nationwide


By Yekeen Nurudeen

Registrar of Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, Is-haq Oloyede has expressed the readiness of the board to go ahead with the conduct of this year computer based Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME.

He spoke in Abuja on Saturday after monitoring the conduct of the Mock UTME conducted by the Board to test run facilities put in place for the actual entrance examination scheduled to hold between May 13 and 20, 2017.

Oloyede who emphasized that the Board is more than ready to conduct the main examination disclosed that over 1.5 million candidates have so far registered for the annual matriculation examination.

His words: ” I believe that so far so good, it has been better than our expectations because it is a mock, a trial. But so far so good it has been okay. The intention was to test the technology and it has shown that it is a perfect technology. We thank our partners, MTN and Airtel for doing a very good job.

“I think from what you have seen, we are more than ready for the main examination.

We have a control room where we monitor situation from all over the country. As at when I left office, quarter to seven this morning, at least 90 percent of the centers have reported positively; proper downloading and preparation for the exams.

And you have also seen it from our control room that even after the first session they have uploaded the responses of the students.

“We have received more than 80 percent as you can and we expect that the remaining 20 percent might have responded. We believe this is a very good exercise. We do not claim perfection but we believe that Nigeria deserves the best.

And you should not be afraid of noise; any officer who wants to serve this country must know that if he does not want to take any risk then there will be no progress.



    “What we have done is just that we want to show that we believe that what worked elsewhere should work here in Nigeria and we believe that we can get these things done more efficiently and without having to spend fortune.

    “We believe that we have been able to try this and we will continue to do our best. So far we have registered over 1.5 million candidates in less than five weeks and we are yet to complete the fifth week of registration because we believe that the facility that we have put in place is good enough.

    “You must have also noticed that some people are hell bent at thwarting the efforts of the Board but we would not allow such people to succeed. Those of them that were caught, I believe  that the  law would allow them to go scot-free and  the appropriate agencies would prosecute them. We promise Nigerians that we will give our best with sincerity of purpose but without caring about the nay sayers”

    The mock examination held in 633 centers across the country and 153000 candidates participated

    Join the ICIR WhatsApp channel for in-depth reports on the economy, politics and governance, and investigative reports.

    Support the ICIR

    We invite you to support us to continue the work we do.

    Your support will strengthen journalism in Nigeria and help sustain our democracy.

    If you or someone you know has a lead, tip or personal experience about this report, our WhatsApp line is open and confidential for a conversation


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Support the ICIR

    We need your support to produce excellent journalism at all times.

    - Advertisement


    - Advertisement